Ultimate Slow Cooker Beef Stew
We made this stew with some of our farm’s home-grown beef. We had On the Road Custom Cutting, of Kerkhoven process our animals onsite. Thad did a great job. The stew meat was so tender.
This stew is made with stew meat, Yukon potatoes and carrots for a rich beef stew that is perfect for the cold weather.
- Yield- 8 Servings
- Prep Time- 20 minutes
- Cook Time- 8 hours
- Total Time- 8 hours 20 minutes
- 1 pound Prairies Edge Farm‘s stew meat
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 4 carrots , peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 Yukon potatoes , cut into 2 inch chunks
- 4 cups beef broth *
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Preheat a large skillet or aluminum slow cooker insert on high heat.
- Season the beef with half the salt and all the pepper.
- Add to the skillet and brown on each side for 4-6 minutes or until deeply browned on each side.
- Remove the beef from the pan and add in the onions.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker.
- Cook the onions for 3 minutes, stir then cook another 3 minutes.
- Into the slow cooker add the onions, carrots, celery potatoes, broth, second half of the salt, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir all the ingredients until well mixed and cook on low for 7 hours.
- In a small bowl mix the butter and flour and add it to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook an additional hour or until thickened.